Thursday, October 22, 2009

Bring on the Cold?- Dealing with Florida's inconsistent weather patterns


One day it's 98 degrees. The next day it's 58 degrees.

I can't stand Florida's weather sometimes.

Yes, I might be one of the few athletes that is complaining about our recent cold front, but that's because I had to do a swim workout this morning!

If I was at football or softball practice, or even out for a jog, then I'm positive that I would have enjoyed the drop in temperature.

Even though it wasn't even that cold this week, it took the cross country team about 30 minutes to jump in the pool to do a swim workout. I know, pretty ridiculous.

So, how do the swimmers handle the freezing water in January or February when it's like 30 degrees outside?

... Especially wearing those itsy bitsy swim suits! They must be nuts.

During the winter, most athletes can add on extra layers to stay warm without it effecting their performance. The new technologies of under armor clothing are amazing because they provide warmth with such little fabric.

But, swimmers usually don't have that luxury because any kind of additional layers can slow them down.

I have a lot of respect for swimmers, not only because they have to compete in freezing water during the winter, but their sport is extremely challenging.

I might go watch a swim meet this winter, but luckily I'll have some hot chocolate and heavy layers!

No comments:

Post a Comment