Monday, September 14, 2009

"Break a Leg"- The nonstop injuries of athletes


The main issue that can hold an athlete back in his/her sport is an injury or injuries.

Ask any athletes, and they can probably name a whole list of injuries they have faced throughout their athletic career.

Actually, many college athletes can blame injuries for their retirement decision.

Check out some of the worst sports injuries ever.

According to Cell Health Makeover, the top 10 most common sports injuries include:
  1. Muscle Pull
  2. Neck Strain and Pain
  3. Frozen Shoulder Injury
  4. Strained Lower Back Injury
  5. Tennis Elbow- Tendonitus Injury
  6. Runner's Knee Injury
  7. Shin Splints
  8. Sprained Twist Ankle
  9. Achilles Tendonitus Injury
  10. Foot Arch Pain and Strain

I laughed when I discovered this site. You want to know why? Because I can name at least one player at FAU struggling with each one of these injuries at this time.

And the reason why I laugh is because these injuries are all preventable.

It is also funny because I live with two other athletes (who play on FAU's soccer team) and all three of us are injured right now-

  • I have runner's knee,
  • Sonia has a strained lower back, and
  • Devon has a sprained twist ankle.
Hooray for the gimp roommates!

The most important injury prevention treatments for athletes to remember are:

  • Stretch frequently before and after all exercising.
  • Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
  • Eat fruits and vegetables high in nutrional value.
  • Strengthen (or prehab) muscles around weak, painful areas.
  • Exercise ball stretch workouts.
  • Wear supportive shoes.
  • Train on the softest surfaces possible.
  • Ice daily.
  • Always get a good amount night of rest.

Sometimes these treatments don't work and athletes have to turn to other solutions.

Thus far, I have had six shots in my knee, two years of rehab, but I just recently had to turn to surgery.

I'm only 20 years old and I already needed surgery on my knee? I know, it's crazy.

But you know what? It's fine with me, because I'm not the only FAU athlete who is sacrificing all this for my university.

We all are.

So next time you see an athlete before a game, don't forget to tell them, "Break a leg!"

No comments:

Post a Comment